Part P or otherwise known as Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (City & Guilds 2393) or EAL Level 3 Award In Approving Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings in Compliance with Building Regulations (EAL 600/7859/5) course is for practising electricians or similar tradesman such as Gas Engineers to help and improve their knowledge relating to the requirements for the installations in dwellings. This qualifications is Level 3 and candidates are expected to have prior knowledge of wiring regulations ( i.e. 17th edition BS 7671:2008).
This course is classroom based 1 day training which covers aspects of Approved document P : Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations. Main focus of the course is to ensure domestic installers not only comply with Part P, but also with other Building Regulations, including Fire Safety, Ventilation and Conservation of Energy. During the course we will cover following:
1. Scope, purpose and structure of the Building Regulations
2. Notifiable and non-notifiable building work
3. Enforcement- the role of building Control Services
4. Approved Document A – Structure
5. Approved Document B – Fire Safety
6. Approved Document E – Resistance to the passage of sound
7. Approved Document F – Ventilation
8. Approved Document L1A and L1B – Conservation of fuel and power
9. Approved Document M – Access to and use of buildings
10.Approved Document P – Electrical safety – Dwellings
Followed by numerous practice questions to boost confidence and get the students familiarise with the exam methodology.
This Course is assessed through:
At the end of the course there is an open book multiple choice online exam
Duration: 40 minutes/ Number of questions: 20
Students with following qualities will be able to enroll for the course:
- Those who want to become a Qualified Supervisor responsible for electrical work in domestic properties subject to Part P of the Building Regulations.
- Those who carry out electrical work for their main work activity, and wish to be nominated as a ‘Qualified Supervisor’ with a Competent Persons Scheme. Registration with such a scheme will enable self certification of domestic electrical installation work to the Building Regulations.
- This qualification is not intended for learners who have no previous electrical experience.
All students must have a copy of Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations: Part P, ISBN: 978-1-84919-556-0
Upon successful completion of it students will receive a Level 3 certificate which will help them in registering for ECS Card and with JIB. This qualification will help you gain knowledge on building regulations, helping you advance in your practice as an electrician or in another building trade.
If you’d like to develop additional skills that can help you advance in your career, you may want to consider other qualifications, such as:
- Level 3 Certificate in Initial and Fundamental Inspection and Testing (2394)
- Level 3 Certificate in Periodic inspection and testing (2395)
- Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering (4467).